For as long as I can remember, I have felt the pull to take care of others.
I have been a natural caregiver since I was a child. I was thrilled when my baby brother was born because I had a real, live tiny human to dress and feed and comfort.
I am also empathic and highly sensitive. I am naturally attuned to the emotions of people around me and I have a gift for holding space for others.
I love that I am a sensitive, kind, and loving nurturer. I love being a mom and a wife. I love being a therapist and a yoga teacher who creates healing spaces. I love taking care of people.
And it can be exhausting to be constantly tuned into the emotions and needs of others.
Last year I went through some serious burn out. Over-giving took an intense toll on me, emotionally and physically. I was exhausted, depressed, anxious, and sick with asthma and severe allergies for the better part of a year.
I didn’t want to stop being a nurturer and at the same time I knew my way of being was not sustainable. For decades, I had put myself last because I wanted so much to help others. I didn’t realize how much I was hurting myself in the process. Now that I am on the other side of burn out I know that it is possible to be my caregiver self at home and at work and take beautiful care of myself so that I feel grounded and relaxed inside of my life.
I want you to know that you can practice self-care and still be the loving nurturer you are.
The women who gather in my circles are devoted caregivers. They are loving mothers and caring partners. They are healers – counselors, teachers, massage therapists, coaches, and yoga teachers. They have dedicated their lives to taking care of others – their children, parents, grandparents, students, and clients. They are the women who make this world a better place. They shape the future with their love and kindness.
And often they feel depleted and alone. Sometimes they are even in burn out. Because they are putting so much out into the world. Because caregiving takes a lot of energy. Because they are sensitive and empathic and feel so much.
I created Badass Self-Care: The Circle for these women. Because we need each other.
Badass Self-Care: The Circle is a 6-month group program in which you learn and practice the principles of Badass Self-Care so that you can take beautiful care of yourself and your people.
The Tenets of Badass Self-Care:
1. You are enough, just as you are in this moment. Everything that you need is already within you.
2. You do not need to be fixed because you are not broken.
3. You deserve to be the center of your own life.
4. Self-care is not selfish.
5. Self-care is not an indulgence; it is a necessity.
6. Self-care occurs within the social and cultural context of our lives.
7. Self-care is not prescriptive; it is an individualized practice.
8. Self-care is dynamic and fluid; what it looks like changes over time, sometimes even moment to moment.
9. Self-care is not something we have to earn. We are all worthy of self-care simply because we exist.
10. Self-care is more than behaviors; it is a mindset, an embodied knowing of our worth.
Badass Self-Care: The Circle is sacred, slow work that goes beneath the surface. We are talking about more than pedicures and bubble baths, we are talking about shifting your mindset. We are talking about deconstructing the socio-cultural messages that deliberately undermine our ability to care for ourselves. We are talking about Badass Self-Care and the radical reclamation of your truth, your energy, your effort, and your life.
Badass Self-Care is water, movement, naps.
Badass Self-Care is your morning run followed by a green smoothie.
Badass Self-Care is the most decadent dark chocolate and a beautiful glass of red wine.
Badass Self-Care is hot tea and salty baths and time with your journal.
Badass Self-Care is understanding how what you take in physically, emotionally, and energetically impacts you.
Badass Self-Care is all the laughing and crying and everything in between, feeling it all.
Badass Self-Care is speaking your truth.
Badass Self-Care is unpacking the lies we’ve been fed from our culture.
Badass Self-Care is choosing yourself and honoring your needs.
Badass Self-Care is knowing how to tune in and access those needs.
Badass Self-Care is getting out of your head and into your body wisdom.
Badass Self-Care is grieving the times and places we’ve discounted our truth.
Badass Self-Care is making yourself a priority.
Badass Self-Care is the art of doing nothing.
Badass Self-Care is knowing how you want to feel & consciously creating a life that fosters those feelings.
Badass Self-Care is fierce boundaries and mindful self-talk.
Badass Self-Care is knowing you deserve to rest.
Badass Self-Care is learning to receive.
Badass Self-Care is courageous conversations and emotional intimacy.
Badass Self-Care is learning to embrace the whole beautiful mess that is this life.
Hi, I’m Mindy Scime! I’m a therapist, yoga teacher, and radical proponent of Badass Self-Care ®. I work with sensitive, empathic women who are exhausted from caring for others and want to learn to care for themselves. I show you how to give yourself the same beautiful care you give others and I do that by passing you a permission slip to tell the truth about your life. Standing firmly in the truth of your worth, you will learn to identify and respond to your needs, set healthy boundaries, and honor your truth. We do this work for ourselves and we do this work for our world. Because women taking care of themselves creates powerful shifts within and without.
The aim of this circle is to learn to take exquisite care of yourself.
We do that by taking a critical look at the messages we’ve received from a young age. We learn to treat ourselves with self-compassion. We examine our self-talk and question where our beliefs came from. We allow ourselves to grieve, together, the times and places we have discounted our truth. We learn to tune into our internal wisdom, to trust ourselves. We explore what holds us back from considering what we want, both personally and in the larger social context. We practice being brave and allowing ourselves to want, to dream. We explore our cycles as women and honor the feminine within and around us.
This is a 6 month program with two emails per week (part love letter, part prompt) plus a monthly group call with me. We will gather in a private Facebook group so that we can counteract the isolation that comes with busy lives and lean on each other for community care, support, and encouragement. There is also an option for monthly 1:1 coaching calls with me.
The sacred container for our work:
1. We circle together for six months so that you can have time and space to unravel and explore the topics. Dedicating six months to yourself helps you commit to your self-care as a way of life. It counteracts the cultural lie that you need to earn your space in the world with your endless labor and sends a message to yourself, over and over again, that you are valuable and worthy. Six months together allows us to build a sense of community, fostering safety and connection.
2. You receive two emails per week (part love letter, part prompt). You receive two emails per week so that you can marinate in the prompts. Emails will arrive on Monday and Wednesday at 5am EST. Two weekly emails ensures that the coursework does not create additional stress, obligation, or yet another item on your to-do list. Seriously: this course will not be another item on your to-do list. Instead, it will be a source of sustenance. You will look forward to savoring and spending time with the emails as an act of self-care.
3. Each month I send one video where I answer your questions and share stories of my own self-care journey. Each month I make you a video so that your questions can be given the time and attention they deserve. You will hear questions from others in the circle, as well as stories from my own journey. We learn from each other and this helps us remember we are not alone on the path.
4. We have one group call per month. Once a month we gather for a group call so that you can connect deeper with me and your fellow participants. Typically, I lead us through a short grounding exercise, share quotes or passages relevant to our monthly topic, and include time for 1:1 coaching. Monthly group calls will be on the third Friday of the month at 12pm EST (first call is February 16th). Calls will be recorded if you can’t attend live.
5. You have the option of monthly 1:1 coaching calls with me. If you are seeking more individualized support and choose this option, we will have six 45-minute calls during the six months of our program.
6. There is a private Facebook group for connection. We commune in a private Facebook group so that you can easily connect with your fellow participants, receive support, and celebrate your successes on a platform you are already using.
7. Together we will explore the 6 components of Badass Self-Care: LISTEN, GROUND, RELEASE, SPEAK, ACT, HONOR. We explore the six components that comprise Badass Self-Care so that you can address all the layers of what it means to care for yourself as a woman in this culture.
Month 1: LISTEN
- We will examine how, when, and where we have learned to discount our truth.
- We will learn how the voices and contributions of women have been (and still are) erased from society.
- We will learn to tune into our internal wisdom.
- We will learn to trust ourselves and our intuition.
Month 2: GROUND
- We will explore caring for our physical bodies.
- We will discuss the messages we receive from society about our bodies, including the thin-ideal, diet culture, and rape culture.
- We will bring awareness to the ubiquitous messages we receive about women as objects and the repercussions of those messages.
- We will learn about alternative ways to be in relationship with our bodies, including self-compassion, body appreciation, and intuitive eating.
Month 3: RELEASE
- We will bring awareness to our external surroundings, as well as our internal dialogue.
- We will clear space in our homes and in our minds.
- We will explore the familial, social, and cultural origins of beliefs that no longer serve us.
Month 4: SPEAK
- We will explore what holds us back from considering what we want, both within our personal lives and within the broader sociocultural context.
- We will name our dreams and desires.
- We will allow ourselves to want.
Month 5: ACT
- We will take action to support our dreams and desires.
- We will create sacred structure to support our visions.
- We will practice setting boundaries to protect our time and energy.
- We will discuss why these tasks can feel so challenging for women.
Month 6: HONOR
- We will explore our cycles as women – the moon cycle, the menstrual cycle, and feminine archetypes.
- We will discuss the many ways feminine characteristics and values have been demeaned in our culture.
- We will dive far back into history to a time where women were revered as sacred.
- We will embody the truth that being feminine – cyclical and inconsistent- is a gift to be honored.
The Change You Will Experience from Your Time in
Badass Self-Care: The Circle
When you are grounded in care and truth…
You will stop:
:: saying yes when you mean no
:: incessantly comparing yourself to others
:: working to prove your worth
:: rushing through your life
:: swallowing your words to keep the peace
:: feeling guilty for prioritizing your needs
You will understand:
:: how patriarchal conditioning impacts your self-talk & self-image
:: why our culture is set up to make you feel like you’re not good enough
:: that the system is broken, not you
You will know:
:: you are enough just as you are, right here right now
:: you are not alone
:: you inherently deserve love, safety, and respect
:: you can trust yourself
This is why we do the work of learning to care for ourselves.
We do it so we can stop over-working, over-giving, people-pleasing, and getting burned out.
We do it so we can be more of ourselves.
We do it to fortify and take care of ourselves and each other.
You can practice self-care and still be the loving nurturer you are.
Join us for a six-month deep dive beyond burnout and into Badass Self-Care.
We begin on Monday, February 12, 2018.
OPTION 1: Group program only
Investment: $49/month, for six consecutive months